P.O. Drawer 140, 100 Central Circle
Low Moor, VA 24457
Office (540) 863-1800
JRTC Board Meeting Notes
What follows are the notes from the May 10, 2017 meeting of the Jackson River Technical Center Joint Board of Control. You are encouraged to contact Eugene Kotulka if you have questions regarding this information.
Present: Cindy Bennett (Covington City), Bert Baker (Covington City), Eddy Clemons (Covington City), Gerald Franson (Alleghany County), Jennifer Seckner (Alleghany County), Craig Lane (Alleghany County), Randy Tucker (Alleghany County), Glenn Spangler (JRTC Director), Christy Armentrout (Clerk), Melinda Snead-Johnson (Covington City Superintendent) and Eugene Kotulka (Alleghany County Superintendent/Administrator).
1. The minutes of the April 11, 2017 meeting were approved.
2. Mr. Spangler reviewed year end events held at JRTC. He invited the Board to attend the picnic and awards ceremony on May 15.
3. Mr. Spangler reported end of year certification tests were being given.
4. Mr. Spangler reported the new sign will likely be in place by the end of September.
5. It was suggested for marketing class to collaborate with media clubs to promote school activities and athletics. Mr. Spangler stated it would be considered next school year.
6. Mr. Spangler reviewed the proposed 2017-2018 school calendar. The calendar was unanimously approved. The first day of school is August 9.
7. Mr. Spangler requested approval of the 2015-2016 audit. The audit was unanimously approved.
8. Mr. Spangler reviewed the proposed 2017-2018 budget. There was discussion regarding carryover amounts and potential caps on carryover amounts for future budget years. The budget was unanimously approved.
9. The Board went into Executive Session to discuss personnel matters. The following personnel were approved: Glenn Spangler, Christy Armentrout, Melody Weese, Stephen O’Byrne, William Bell, Amanda Baldwin, Nonette Cosgrove, Mark Hamelman, James Huffman, Jimmy Fridley, Vanessa Givens, and Kenneth Starcher.
10. Bills in the amount of $20,675.93 were approved. Bills and salaries in the amount of $74,901.85 were also paid in accordance with approved salary and benefit schedules.
The meeting adjourned at 12:40 p.m.
The next meeting will be held on June 13 at 12:00 p.m.