P.O. Drawer 140, 100 Central Circle
Low Moor, VA 24457
540-863-1809 540-863-1804 fax
July 27, 2016
Homebound, Section 504 Procedures Manual Update
updating and revisions of the procedures manual are necessary to keep current
information and practice in the hands of service providers in the Division.
The following is a synopsis of the changes made to the manual:
- Boys’ Home Students have same
enrollment requirements as other students.
- Specified triennials begin at
least 65 business days before triennial anniversary date.
- Specified that medical
documentation is required for 504 eligibility.
- Student with medical
documentation of a diagnosis should be considered for a 504 plan.
Removed references to prior interventions before considering 504
- Eligibility decision meeting
must take place within 65 business days and prior to triennial review
- Specified documents required in
the Category 2 (Special Education) file for eligibility process.
- No exceptions to 65 day
timeline and triennial anniversary dates.
- Added Indicator 9 and 10
requirements to Eligibility Meeting Checklist.
- Clarification of Indicator 7
time 2 requirements.
- Indicator 13 checklist updated
information and requirements.
- Specified transition IEP
- Specified IEP addendum required
for new disability identifications.
- Requirement to obtain written
consent before inviting outside agencies to IEP meeting.
- Document student’s input in IEP
for students choosing not to attend their transition IEP meeting.
- Quarterly review meetings for
Stay Put IEPs.
- Class grades do not document
progress toward IEP goals.
- Transition plan must include
goals for education, training and employment. Independent living is
optional. Also, evidence of and information from interest assessment and
course of study must be in transition plan.
- Consider offering intensive ESY
instruction for students more than a year below grade level in basic
reading or math skills.
- Student and situation specific
Prior Written Notices required. No generalized statements of laws or
procedural requirements should be used.
- Pattern analysis of continuing
discipline suspensions required after Manifestation Determination Review.
- Direction for data collection
for Functional Behavior Assessment.
- Maintain documentation of age
of majority discussion in Category 2 file.
- If transfer eligibility is not
received or does not meet Virginia requirements – get consent to
- Added previously approved 504
policies and procedures.
- Disposal schedule for teacher
personal student file contents.
- Surrogate parent section
updated with statute and citations.
- Addressed Occupational therapy
and Physical therapy through 504 plan for students not special education
Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in
Virginia (January 25, 2010)
V. Heath, Ph.D.