P.O. Drawer 140, 100 Central Circle
Low Moor, VA 24457
Office (540) 863-1800
JRTC Board Meeting Notes
What follows are the notes from the September 12, 2017 meeting of the Jackson River Technical Center Joint Board of Control. You are encouraged to contact Eugene Kotulka if you have questions regarding this information.
Present: Cindy Bennett (Covington City), Bert Baker (Covington City), Gerald Franson (Alleghany County), Jennifer Seckner (Alleghany County), Craig Lane (Alleghany County), Randy Tucker (Alleghany County), Glenn Spangler (JRTC Director), Christy Armentrout (Clerk), Melinda Snead-Johnson (Covington City Superintendent) and Eugene Kotulka (Alleghany County Superintendent/Administrator).
1. The minutes of the August meeting were approved.
2. Mr. Spangler stated the school year is going well. Welding students passed the NOCTI post-test with a 100% pass rate.
3. Mr. Spangler reviewed the SEDF report for the 2016-17 school year. In 2016-17 JRTC had 22.12% female nontraditional students, 10.24% male nontraditional students for a combined total of 18.75% nontraditional students. We are supposed to meet a benchmark of 30% nontraditional students for the current school year, however, this will not be feasible due to the programs that are offered here.
4. Mr. Spangler reported that JRTC currently has 350 students enrolled for the fall semester. There are 300 Alleghany High School students, 50 Covington students, and 1 post-graduate student. It was mentioned that the CST class did not have as many students enrolled as anticipated.
5. Mr. Spangler presented the board with copies of finalized financial reports from 2016-17. He noted final amounts included some donations from WestRock and the Low Moor Converting plant for the Welding and Carpentry programs as well as VPSA money that JRTC has not used.
6. The board approved the Skills Advisory Council for the 2017-2018 school year.
board approved the Craft Committees as follows:
Automotive Technology, Carpentry, Computer Systems Technology, Culinary
Arts, Electrical, Health Occupations, Early Childhood
Education, Marketing, and Welding.
8. Bills in the amount of $23,395.16 were approved. Bills and salaries in the amount of $37,955.87 were also paid in accordance with approved salary and benefit schedules.
The meeting adjourned at 12:20 p.m.
The next meeting will be held on October 10 at 12:00 p.m.