P.O. Drawer 140, 100 Central Circle
Low Moor, VA 24457
Office (540) 863-1800
JRTC Board Meeting Notes
What follows are the notes from the March 13, 2018 meeting of the Jackson River Technical Center Joint Board of Control. You are encouraged to contact Eugene Kotulka if you have questions regarding this information.
Present: Bert Baker (Covington City), Cindy Bennett (Covington City), Eddy Clemons (Covington City), Jennifer Seckner (Alleghany County), Gerald Franson (Alleghany County), Craig Lane (Alleghany County), Glenn Spangler (JRTC Director), Christy Armentrout (Clerk), Melinda Snead-Johnson (Covington City Superintendent) and Eugene Kotulka (Alleghany County Superintendent)
1. The minutes of the February meeting were approved.
2. Mr. Spangler reviewed the Annual Performance Report, noting that JRTC met all of the required performance measures for technical skills attainment as listed on page 2 of the criteria. He also noted that JRTC did not meet the non-traditional requirements. The reason for this he explained is because of the programs that are offered and the number of students that are served. He stated that JRTC promotes its programs to all students and makes an effort for all students to get the classes they want.
3. Mr. Spangler gave an update on the progress of the current school year. He explained instructional time has been a challenge this year because of testing, remediation, assemblies and inclement weather. These things can have a significant impact on how the programs operate, he noted.
4. Mr. Spangler discussed school security. He informed the board that he is considering adding a second set of doors at the front entrance of the building. This would route traffic through the main office, increase visibility of visitors, and keep the building more secure.
5. Mr. Spangler reviewed expenditures from last year as there were previous questions about categories being overspent.
6. The Board entered Executive Session to discuss Personnel Matters. Upon return to Open Session, the Board approved the resignation of Amanda Baldwin, Marketing instructor, effective the end of this school year.
7. Bills in the amount of $33,761.93 were approved. Bills and salaries in the amount of $81,757.01 were also paid in accordance with approved salary and benefit schedules.
The meeting adjourned at 12:33 p.m.
The next meeting will be held on April 10 at 6:00 p.m. (dinner meeting).